Many soccer fans flooded the KICC grounds today from as early as 8:00am to view the famous FIFA World Cup trophy. The gates were however not yet opened at that time as the organizers seemed to be finalizing on the preparations to receive the eager crowd with security tightened from all corners of the compound.
The crowded was kept entertained throughout as they waited for the largely coveted 18 karat pure gold trophy with music from the Deejay who played different genres of music while some fans and crew resulted to playing different games available in the grounds.
ALSO READ: No World Cup Dream For Harambee Stars
The trophy is set to move to 51 countries and 91 cities by the times the games start. Kenyans will have the chance to interact with the trophy today (Tuesday) before its departure to Mozambique.
FACTS TO NOTE ABOUT THE FIFA WORLD CUP TROPHY
- This is the third time it’s landed in Kenya with the 1st time being in the year 2010.
- It is made of 18 Karat pure gold with a malachite base.
- Two trophies have been used as of now; the Jules Rimet Trophy from 1930-1970 and the Fifa World Cup Trophy from 1974 to the present day.
- The original Trophy, Jules Rimet Trophy, was stolen in the year 1983 and never recovered.
- The trophy was made by Stabilimento Artistico Bertoni Company in Italy.
- The current holder of the trophy is Germany, winner of the 2014 world cup.
- Only heads of the state are allowed to touch the trophy during its current tour of the world.
- It is valued at KSH1billion shillings.
- It stands 36 centimetres tall and weighs 6 kilograms.