For those of you who don’t know, HELB stands for Higher Education Loans Board and they offer loans to joining university students who are in need of financial assistance in order to pay their fees and purchase materials for school.
The application for the loan is free and is valid for one year.
It is recommended that you apply at least one month prior to the opening of your school so that they have time to process your application. The application time runs from January to July annually.
I recommend that you collect all the necessary information and documents you’ll need for filling out the application before going to do so.
Process to Follow
- The application will be done online via their website helb.co.ke.
- Create an account on the site using details you’ll be provided with.
- Fill out the application form on the site and print out two copies and get all the required stamps and signatures from the relevant people.
- Take one copy of the LAF to any of the appropriate banks for verification and inclusion of bank details OR drop it personally at the Board’s Office at Anniversary Towers OR any of the Huduma centers nearest to you like Eldoret, Embu, GPO, Kajiado, Kakamega, Kisumu, Machakos, Makadara, Mombasa, Nakuru and Nyeri.
- Leave one copy with the bank for delivery to HELB and retain one copy.
READ ALSO : HELB Misuse: Avoid The Temptation
HELB Loan Application Documents You’ll Need
- One colored passport size photo
- University Admission Letter
- National ID card
- Bank Account
- KRA Pin Certificate
- Parents Particulars (Payslips if employed, bank statements if farming/business, letter of retirement/retrenchment,
- Copy of Parents National ID cards
- Copy of Guarantors National ID cards
- Copy of Guardians National ID cards
- Parents Death Certificate (if orphan. Copies certified by the district registrar of births and deaths)
- Or copies of Burial Permits certified by the district registrar of births and deaths
- KCSE Result Slip
- Letter from District Medical Officer confirming physical challenge if any.
First time and subsequent TVET Loans are open between now and the 31st of October 2017.
Follow THIS link now and apply for your loan!