KU Triumph Over KeMU In Nationals KUSA Playoffs


Kenyatta University went through to the National KUSA playoffs with a dramatic last minute free kick from Victor Ashinga to see off KEMU in an entertaining match played at the Barclays sports ground on Thika road.

The match was highly charged due to the fact that ineligibility issues were raised before it kicked off. Some of the students documents were not matching up but this was later put to bed and the match kicked off..

The match started off with KU pushing for an early goal clearly showing their intention with the KEMU goalkeeper standing his ground. KEMU sat back and waited to catch KU on the break with no success. The latter part of the game was calm as both teams settling in. This half did not see much action as the teams went on the break tied.

The second half started off as the first one with both teams looking dangerous on the break. Ronald Okoth of KEMU was awarded a dangerous free kick in the 60th minute but the experienced midfielder saw his shot go over the bar to the relief of Dennis Kinyua.

In the second half KU introduced Clinton Ondiek, Joe Litunda and Clyde Ogada for Karim, Adams and Ontita. The impact was clearly felt as they came close on numerous occasions with the scholars being wasteful infront of goal. KEMU nearly took the lead after that with a long range shot being fumbled by Dennis at the goal post. The resultant corner was wasteful.

In the 80th minute Aquinas nearly broke the deadlock with his shot flying just an inch over the bar after playing a one two with Joe Lituda who had been a threat in front of goal.

With the game seemingly headed for penalties KEMU resorted to seat back while KU kept on pushing for a winner. In the 93rd minute due to the pressure mounted KEMU were forced into committing a foul and KU were awarded a direct free kick. Victor Ashinga stepped up from 25 yards and took the initiative. He struck the ball with power and precision into the far post beating the helpless Mukusa in goal.

The goal was very cruel to KEMU side who had put up a spirited performance led by their captain Joseph Theuri who was a rock at the back. Ogada could have scored a second goal for KU but his shot was saved by the excellent KEMU goalkeeper.

The inevitable happened and the referee blew the final whistle with the Hardnut carrying the day. Kenyatta University will be on their way to Eldoret for the playoff to be held  on the weekend of 26th-27th of March.

Courtesy of Afristars.net.