Seven time Grammy winner Prince, who was known for mega-hits like “Purple rain”, has died at the age of 57.
Prince was found dead in the elevator of his Paisley Park estate in Chanhassen, Minn. on Thursday. Deputies and medical personnel found the music icon unresponsive when they arrived at his home in Minneapolis. Here are a few things you never knew about Prince.
- His real first name was actually Prince, and he was named after the “Prince Rodgers Jazz Trio,” which was led by his father, John
- He suffered from epilepsy and seizures as a child
- The Minneapolis native started out in music at 13, when he formed a band called Grand Central with his high school friends
- He was only 5’2″, which explained his affection for wearing high heels on stage
- Prince was vegan
- Prince and his ex-wife Mayte had one child, a son named Boy Gregory Nelson, who died shortly after his October 1996 birth because of a skull defect
- Prince kept a cage full of white doves in his home, the Paisley Park compound, which is right outside of his hometown of Minneapolis
- Prince and Michael Jackson were known frenemies
- Prince had an allegiance to the color purple. Purple, a combination of calming blue and the fierceness of red – associated with royalty, ambition and power – was often referenced in Prince’s work and fashion
Was this article helpful? Tell us below.